Monday, November 22, 2010

The Legend of Acco

There was a legend in North Queensland of a huge black crocodile that was thought to be measured over 35 feet long. Fishermen working in the river system would come back  scared from a narrow escape battle with the giant croc known through Queensland as Acco. It was said that Acco had sunk boats, torn nets, and driven lots of fishermen from the river. It was even said that he could attack and kill a scrub bull, then he would drag the carcass hundreds of feet across mudflats and eat it. He was also known to be able to swallow a whole “Barra” boar. Croc hunters would compete and try to shoot Acco for the supreme award. Fishermen started to complain so the government sent in professional croc catchers, but they could not capture the huge croc. My father and I heard about this legend in 1985, and we felt we had to do something about it. Then in 1987 we observed the crocodile’s territory and made a plan of how to safely relocate it. This was not going to be an easy job. We looked over the river system for months and set up lead-in baits and traps to attempt so safely capture Acco. We looked around to try to track were he could be. It seemed as if he never made a mistake. Eventually we found a belly slide which told us he was at that spot not too long ago. My father eventually left me and my dog Chilli alone to capture this this huge croc by ourselves. My first move was to set up two traps by the belly slide thinking that might be a popular spot for him. Then I set up another trap a little further upstream which I thought would be the hot spot. Lastly I set up a final trap at the mouth of the river which is where the stories I had heard before had taken place. This crocodile was the smartest I have seen  It took three attempts, lots of equipment, and lots of time to catch this croc. I was so committed to capturing him I was not going to give up. When I finally caught him, I had been there for months and the rest of the animals in the habitat were used to me being there. I would have to say that that was the hardest croc capture I have ever had. After being caught, Acco was put into a trailer to be safely relocated to my zoo. He was so tired and so shaken up I was terrified that he wasn’t going to make it. Back at the zoo I tried to make him as comfortable as I possibly could. I even put a couple of girlfriends in with him. Acco never forgave me for taking him out of his habitat, but it had to be done for his safety. 


No comments:

Post a Comment